The Murrysville Community Library is currently hiring a part-time Library-Associate for the circulation desk.
POSITION: Library-Associate, Circulation Services
REPORTS TO: Coordinator of Circulation Services
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Coordinator of Circulation Services, perform circulation procedures, assists patrons with reference questions and acquisition of Library material, provides direction to volunteers and pages, and maintain the Library’s website. This is a part-time position with seventeen hours per week. The schedule will be Wednesdays 10:00a.m.-3:30p.m., Thursdays, 10:00a.m.-3:30p.m., and Saturdays, 9:30a.m.-5:00p.m. Compensation is $9.00 per hour. This position is open until filled.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING: Graduation from high school or possession of a GED, preferably supplemented by a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in a related field. Library work experience preferred. Pennsylvania ID required. Must have form of reliable transportation to and from work. Upon receiving an offer candidate must have Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, Pennsylvania State Police Background Check, and FBI Fingerprint Background Check before start date. The cost for clearances can be refunded upon completion of a ninety-day probationary period and submission of current receipts.
The requirements listed as follows are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform this job successfully:
- Knowledge of: general office practices and procedures, library classification systems and automated circulation systems, Microsoft Office software, computer applications, and the principles of library practice and procedures.
- Skilled in: database searching and using library automation systems, using Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, troubleshooting computer equipment, printers and copiers.
- Ability to: be courteous and tactful with the general public, communicate effectively verbally and in writing, establish and maintain working relationships with patrons, library personnel, and the general public, to implement policy and procedures, to exercise initiative and judgment in completing tasks, and to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to: work a flexible schedule that includes Saturdays, and the occasional evening, lift and move up to 25 pounds, move books and materials from both higher and lower shelves, provide close attention to detail despite interruptions, and set priorities and meet deadlines and delegate work effectively.
- Circulation Services – Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Performing procedures and interpreting policies for the circulation and use of library materials, including borrowing and returns, shelving, interlibrary loan, overdue collection and patron registration
- Assist patrons in use of library resources and equipment, includes troubleshooting
- Locate resources in catalog, on shelves and in resource sharing databases
- Keep shelves and public areas in good order
- Perform opening and closing procedures
- Provide reference services and assess requests for interlibrary loan
- Perform other duties and responsibilities at the direction of the Coordinator of Circulation Services
- Maintain the website
- Assist with programming
- Management Activities
- Prepare monthly and annual statistic reports as required
- Keep immediate supervisor and designated other fully and accurately informed concerning work progress
- Include present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems
- Review policies and procedures and recommend revisions as needed
- Staff Support
- Provide staff and volunteer training as needed
- Maintain a neat and safe work area, maintain adequate supplies
- Keep equipment in good working order
- Provide assistance to other departments as needed
- Continuing Education
- Keep current with trends and technology development affecting circulation services through professional journals, listservs and networking, and attend professional meetings, conferences and workshops to maintain professional growth and development.
The Murrysville Community Library, a suburban library 28 miles east of Pittsburgh, serves a population of 27,000 with a collection of 63,000 items and an annual circulation of approximately 140,000. We have a staff of 5 FTE, 6 PTE, 4 pages, and use over 80 volunteers in a variety of ways.
Please email cover letter, résumé, and three professional references to Library Director Amy Riegner at email@example.com, or the Coordinator of Circulation Services, Maria Cuccaro, at firstname.lastname@example.org.